I’m going to guess you might be someone who is interested in boosting your metabolism and burning tons of calories, all in a short period of time. Am I right?? High Intensity Interval Training (HITT), isn’t just time effective, it also has you burning calories and fat long after you’ve completed your workout! Here are a few other reasons why HITT is so effective:
- Helps build endurance– Interval training enables you to increase your endurance for all types of exercise by creating changes in the cellular structure of your muscles.
- Burns calories and fat in a shorter period of time– There are many differences between steady-state cardio and HITT training. One difference is that you are able to burn more fat by doing HITT training. Even though steady-state cardio is aerobic (and is fueled by stored fat), HITT training forces your body to work at a higher level to keep up with your oxygen stores and as a result, burns more fat for a longer period of time than steady-state cardio.
- Effective energy use– Because HITT alternates between high intensity intervals with short rest periods, your body learns how to effectively use the energy that comes from its energy system. One way your body does this is by removing toxins from your muscles during the resting periods.
- Boosts metabolism– Studies show that interval training helps you consume more oxygen than a non-interval workout. The extra amount of oxygen helps speeds up your metabolism from around 90 minutes to 144 minutes after you finish a HITT workout. More calories are burned as a result of the increased metabolism.
- Burns calories and fat hours after you’ve left the gym– After a HITT session, your body’s repair cycle gets recruited and experiences EPOC (Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption). Depending on the intensity of the workout, you could be burning calories and fat hours after your workout is finished.
Interested in learning more about the HIIT classes we offer at Locomotion? Check out our Reboot program at www.locomotionfit.com/reboot