Our new CrossFit programming is in full-swing, and while we are really excited for it we know that some of you may have some reservations. Fear not! We’ve got you covered.
For seasoned CrossFit athletes, this programming will feel a lot like home. You’ll see a lot of the classic benchmark WODs, the girls, hero/tribute WODs, etc. For those not used to this type of training, though, these workouts can be very intimidating.
If you are feeling a little overwhelmed looking at the week ahead, here’s what we want you to remember – CrossFit is infinitely scalable. Infinitely!
That means that whatever your fitness level, whatever your capabilities – you, yes YOU! can do the workout.
Consider Filthy Fifty, which was our workout of the day this past Saturday. Is it a lot? Yes. Is it scalable to ANY athlete? Also, yes! Here is an example of how this benchmark CrossFit WOD can be scaled:
- Don’t have box jumps? Do step ups.
- Can’t jump for pull-ups? Do ring rows.
- Kettlebell swings are painful for you? Let’s substitute a light kettlebell deadlift.
- Knee issues? Swap the walking lunges for slow and controlled air squats.
- Can’t get the full range of motion on knees to elbows? Do hanging knee raises or sit-ups.
- Push press troubles? Swap for floor presses.
- Can’t do burpees? Do up downs, either to the floor or on a box.
- No dubs? Singles x 2.
Later this week, we’ll be doing DT, a hero WOD honoring United States Air Force Staff Sergeant Timothy P. Davis, who was killed by an IED in Afghanistan on February 20, 2009 while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. One round of DT, as prescribed, is 12 deadlifts, 9 hang power cleans, and 6 push jerks at 155 for the men and 105 for the ladies. Sounds easy enough, but the combination of pull and push becomes incredibly taxing – and quick! This can be easily scaled to your ability by tailoring the weight and/or the reps.
Bottom line? Don’t look at the workout ‘as prescribed’ and sell yourself short. Show up and let our coaches help you with the rest.
Interested in seeing what Loco’s new programming is all about? Book a Discovery Call today to learn more!