Have you ever noticed that some holiday recipes are loaded with processed ingredients and extra calories? I mean lets face it, does Green Bean Casserole normally have any ingredients that don’t come from a can (except that delicious and equally as terrible for you fried onion…)? What if we could have our same favorite recipes, but without all the extra sugar and fat?
That’s where the inspiration for the healthier green bean casserole recipe came from. This is a classic recipe with a healthier twist.
Try it, like it, and take it to your next holiday gathering!
Healthier Green Bean Casserole
- 2.5 lbs. green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 tbs. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2.5 cups low fat milk
- 1.5 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Pre heat oven to 425.
2. Toss green beans in bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and divide into two baking sheets. Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add flour and salt. Add milk and keep stirring until sauce is thick (about 4 minutes).
4. Once green beans are done being roasted. Preheat oven to broil.
5. Transfer half green beans to baking sheet then cover with half the sauce. Layer other half of green beans and cover with the rest of the sauce.
6. Combine bread crumbs and remaining oil into a small bowl and sprinkle over green beans.
7. Place green beans in the oven on broil for 1-4 minutes, watch until breadcrumbs become brown at the top. Let sit for 10 minutes.