Big news, Loco Fam! We are so excited to share that our brand new Recovery Room is officially opening for business!
In this Recovery Room, Locomotion Fitness is now home to an ice cold Plunge Pool and an infrared Sauna, which will be available for use by the end of the month. Individuals will be able to reserve time with the room to experience what’s referred to as “Fire and Ice Therapy”.
Before diving into what these sessions will look like, let’s cover some basics of why these tools are beneficial. Fire and Ice Therapy work together to improve physiological and mental health through the following:
- Fat Loss: Plunge Pools initiate a process called BAT (Brown Adipose Thermogenesis), which translates to the body burning fat tissue in order to warm the body back up while experiencing the cold. At the same time, Saunas increase blood flow and regulate body temperature after the cold shock, which ultimately assists in burning calories.
- Recovery: Fire and Ice Therapy improves the ability to regulate heat and overcome inflammation, which is responsible for the vast majority of human chronic pain. It’s beneficial for anyone from the average person with everyday aches and pains (e.g. sitting all day with poor posture) to top athletes struggling with training recovery times and intensity.
- Stress Response Guidance: This type of therapy generates intense feelings between the two temperature extremes. Training through these extremes provides an understanding of how to control emotional responses and reactivity to similar, intense situations. By learning to breathe through these feelings, we can learn to assume control when life inevitably sends difficult situations our way in the future.
Those that use the Recovery Room services can expect anywhere from 45-60 minute sessions, depending on comfort and experience levels with this type of therapy. For the Sauna specifically, individuals will spend anywhere from 15-20 minutes in the heat, while the Plunge Pool will last anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
Booking is available for two different types of therapy sessions:
- One-on-one session that will alternate between the hot and cold modalities with in-person guided breathwork – Booking can be done HERE. Link will go live on 11/7 for our earliest available appointment on 11/14.
- Small group sessions (up to six people) that will rotate individuals through the hot and cold plus additional mobility work – Add your name to our interest form HERE (earliest appointment available at a first-come, first-served basis: Saturday, 11/19)
To learn more about what an individual one-on-one session would entail, watch Coach Jay go into more detail in the second video below.
We are so thrilled to be able to provide this type of opportunity for our community and look forward to seeing those interested take advantage of these services soon!