Congratulations to Joy Brown, our first Member of the Month for 2023!
From a small group personal training standpoint, Joy has been extremely consistent with her training and her performance reflects it! She’s always pushing herself to try heavier weights and to attack challenging movements. From a personal standpoint, her sense of humor and courtesy that she’s shown our Loco Fam is unmatched. No matter the day, Joy carries an upbeat and positive attitude in our doors. She’s jumped head-first into trying new things in our community, like immersing herself in our Fire & Ice therapy sessions with Coach Jay. We feel it is an absolute privilege to have Joy as part of our family, and an absolute no-brainer that this award was deserved by her in January! Cheers to you, Joy!
Here’s more about Joy:
1. How long have you been a member at Loco?
Since May 2022.
2. What is your favorite thing about being a Loco athlete?
I like the coaches, other folks that work out there and the idea of getting healthy for a long productive & active life.
3. What group fitness offerings do you typically participate in at Loco? Do you have a favorite? Discuss.
I have mostly been going to small group training sessions. But I’ve tried a couple recoup yoga sessions too. I like the attention & correction provided by the coaches in the small group sessions.
4. How would you describe the community at Loco?
Very friendly and welcoming.
5. What advice do you have for someone who is intimidated by group fitness?
Give it a try. What do you have to lose? The atmosphere is relaxed and you don’t get points for lifting the most. Just better health for improving yourself.
6. Favorite music to sweat to?
Usually there’s a mix of music depending on who pushes play but my faves would be 80s & 90s hits. But I can also get a good sweat on to the ladies like JLo, Annie Lennox, Tina Turner. And pretty much anything with the right beat.
7. Favorite movement/workout?
8. Is there a member of the LocoFam that inspires and motivates you to be better? Feel free to give them a shoutout!
Of course my favorite karaoke coach, Bryan! But the ladies in my group are the wind beneath my wings … Alessandra & Alesya.
9. Favorite post-workout meal?
I always have a protein coffee shake since I work out first thing in the morning. But then I normally grab something fast so I can get to work … apple & peanut butter on English muffin tops the list most days.
10. What fitness-related goals do you have for 2022?
More Muscle Always! But also get my sweat & freeze on in the sauna & ice bath to keep my inflammation at bay. At some point I’m working towards a pull up … but that might be more considered an ultimate goal.
11. Describe your athletic abilities in five words or less.
Strong Like Bull & Power Rower.
12. Give us your background story – Try to be brief (you can talk about anything from education to career, to pets, to family, to hobbies, etc).
Mom to 3 pups, multi state Oyster Queen (I could talk oysters for hours so don’t get me started), aspire to travel as much as time and funds allow, and a Florida Panhandle native that’s lived in SC for 15 years.