Congratulations to Andrew Perry, our July Member of the Month! He’s been a member of Loco since 2019, which proves his dedication to the Loco Fam. We also see this in classes, as Andrew is so supportive of the other members in class and always in a positive mood. Here’s more about Andrew!
1. How long have you been a member at Loco?
Started with Loco in July 2019 to January 2021. Left for a few months due to work commitments, but have been back since October 2021.
2. What is your favorite thing about being a Loco athlete?
The people- staff, coaches, athletes…everyone is great to work with and be around!
3. What group fitness offerings do you typically participate in at Loco? Do you have a favorite? Discuss.
I mostly do CrossFit but in the last few months, I’ve been adding yoga and cycling. CrossFit is my favorite, I’ve been doing it for about 6 years and it is still challenging and fun!
4. How would you describe the community at Loco?
Enthusiastically supportive! I did CrossFit in Atlanta and one other gym here in Charleston, and Loco is by far the best because of the people. People make an effort to introduce themselves and make you feel comfortable. Coaches are so supportive in your health journey, they are a great asset to helping you reach your goals.
5. What advice do you have for someone who is intimidated by group fitness?
Listen to the coaches, they actually know what they are talking about. If you can’t do a movement because of some limitation, then ask for an alternative movement. Loco coaches are great about giving people different options. Never waste your time being miserable for a workout or possibly getting hurt because you can’t do one of the movements. Find one you can do that is similar and do it instead! There is no judgment, everyone has their own internal battles- showing up and moving is what is really important.
6. Favorite music to sweat to?
It doesn’t matter, I tune it out when the workout starts! 😂
7. Favorite movement/workout?
The Power Snatch. It started as my least favorite! I feel like I learn something new every time I do it.
8. Is there a member of the LocoFam that inspires and motivates you to be better? Feel free to give them a shoutout!
Anyone who is new to CrossFit and is trying to make their life better inspires me. I remember how intimidating it was when I first started, with movements I’d never done before and learning the CrossFit “language” of workouts (i.e. – AMRAPS and EMOMS). It’s great to see the excitement when they do that first workout or try a new lift for the first time.
9. Favorite post-workout meal?
Protein powder, ice, water, and a container of Oikos Triple Zero yogurt blended together.
10. What fitness-related goals do you have for 2022?
More yoga, I’m trying to increase my mobility.
11. Describe your athletic abilities in five words or less.
Work hard, don’t give up.
12. Give us your background story.
My wife and I just celebrated 18 years together. We have 5 awesome kids who are all grown and on their own. We moved here from Atlanta 3 years ago and plan on being here until retirement. I was born in Nebraska, but I grew up in a small town in Ohio. I have a graduate accounting degree from The University of Oklahoma and I’m a huge fan, and anything Marvel-related will get my attention.