Congratulations to Peri Sheppard, our June Member of the Month! Peri takes advantage of all Loco has to offer, attending Yoga, Bootcamp, Personal Training, and CrossFit! She is also quoted to be “one of the nicest people I’ve ever met,” which we think is 100% the truth! Here’s more about Peri.
1. How long have you been a member at Loco?
I am coming up on 1 year at Loco!
2. What is your favorite thing about being a Loco athlete?
Being excited to go to a class! I am never worried about feeling awkward, even if I don’t know anyone in the class.
3. What group fitness offerings do you typically participate in at Loco? Do you have a favorite? Discuss.
I practice yoga weekly and have been doing Bootcamp since I started. I just recently started CrossFit! I think early Monday morning yoga is my favorite, though, just because it is such a great start to the week.. and I can wear my slippers to class.
4. How would you describe the community at Loco?
Welcoming and motivating. I also love the light-heartedness!
5. What advice do you have for someone who is intimidated by group fitness?
Know that no one else is really looking at you or judging you. It is the best way to work on your personal goals but also get motivated by others also try to push yourself to be better.
6. Favorite music to sweat to?
I love pop/dance for working out – really fun beats. Stephen and Haley play songs that I usually end up singing along to.
7. Favorite movement/workout?
Savasana. And I tell myself I like running.
8. Is there a member of the LocoFam that inspires and motivates you to be better? Feel free to give them a shoutout!
My husband, Steven. He started at the gym before me and loved it so much I had to join. He is also the one that pushed me to try CrossFit! Unfortunately, we don’t get to work out together often because we tag team working out and taking care of our almost 2-year-old! I also train with Coach Riley, and he made me feel confident to try my first CrossFit class.
9. Favorite post-workout meal?
10. What fitness-related goals do you have for 2022?
While I do want to lose a little more post-baby weight, I am just loving feeling stronger and fitting in my pre-baby jeans again! That was a great feeling. I will continue working on lifting heavier as that is always intimidating to me.
11. Describe your athletic abilities in five words or less.
Flexible, Competitive, Determined.
12. Give us your background story.
Born and raised in Greenville, SC, but grew up visiting the Lowcountry. Graduated from the College of Charleston in 2014 – small world moment – Coach Jay was in the same Finance Capstone class as my (now) husband and me! Got Married in Charleston in 2015, briefly moved to Atlanta, bought a house in Park Circle in 2019, had a COVID baby in August of 2020, and LOVE being a mom. I also love to work and have been growing with Charleston Shoe Company since I graduated college. My dream was to always be in “fashion” and travel and I actually get to do that! In my free time (LOL), I love to relax, spend time at the beach with my husband and son, and visit my favorite place on earth, Beaufort, SC.